Tuesday, October 1, 2013

About Me (Well, part of me!) Day 1

[My First Stab at Blogtoberfest!]

I have been a reader and lover of art for as long as I can remember. I started reading at an early age and stared at the art work of Rackham, Gorey, and Seuss which held my attention as much as the stories did.
Arthur Rackham's Little Red Riding Hood



I found myself lost in books for hours. I started writing my own little stories and had dreams of becoming a famous author. Somehow in becoming an adult, I decided that I needed a "real" job a.ka. - one that would pay money on a regular basis. I became a teacher to share my love of stories with others. 

About 14 years ago, I bought a sewing machine at a yard sale for $15 with my dear friend and decided that I was going to make my own clothes. (I mended a lot but never made anything that I would be seen in public wearing.) One day, my dear friend confided in me that she was pregnant and having another baby. I decided I wanted to make her a quilt. (My teacher's salary didn't cover much and I wanted to save a few bucks!) I was given a quilting book by my mother-in-law and that was the start of my love affair with quilting.

I still use my original Kenmore when I have heavy duty projects that don't need any frills like my newer Brother can provide. It's built like a steel powerhouse and will always be my first and favorite machine.


No comments: