Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thank you, OMQG! - Day 3

Gratitude

My New Year's resolution was to seek community. I've quilted in isolation for 12 years and wanted to meet others like me who were passionate about fabric and art.  
So I started searching for groups that met in the area. There were a few groups that seemed to follow a more traditional aesthetic which was not my style. I happened upon the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild's page and was lucky enough to be able to attend the first meeting in January. It felt like home. Everyone there was immediately welcoming and so appreciative of each other's craft. I found my people at last!

Over the last few months, I've attended monthly meetings and weekend sew days which inspire me to create more and challenge myself. I am so thankful for each of them. 

A Special Thanks to Marge!

Yesterday, the OMQG met and brought in our Halloween blocks. I really wanted to win them to make a special quilt for my godson this Christmas. He loves all things Halloween from vampires to witches to werewolves. At our table, just before the BOM lottery, Marge offered me the blocks if she won in exchange for another set of blocks I might win in the future. How generous is that?




When her name was called, we both cheered because her win meant I won, too. She gave me her blocks and I still can't stop smiling about it. 

Later, we were given a mystery bag filled with holiday fabric and patterns. We could choose to swap items and get to mingle more at the end of the meeting. At one point, they started giving me their Halloween fabric and orange fabric bags to help me complete my quilt. 

Halloween Good Bags

I have the best guildmates ever! Their friendship means more to me than they will ever know.
Thank you!

No comments: